Information:

Hybrid Fiber Coax (HFC) architecture combines the advantage of the high bandwidth of fiber optic with the shared nature of coaxial cable technology.

The Hybrid Fiber Coax Network is an emerging cable architecture for providing residential video, voice telephony, data, and other interactive services through subscribers' homes over existing infrastructure. Hybrid fiber coax technology invloves the transmission of multi- media signals over long distances via fiber optic cable, to prevent signal loss and degradation. The fiber reaches a point known as the Optic Node at which point it is re-modulated into an electrical signal and broadcast over a coax Trunk and Branch topology that covers about 125 - 2000 homes. The Network Headend serves as a central location for services offered over the HFC Network. Analog and Digital services like PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network), ATM Network, and Cable TV Programming are possible for the HFC Network. The Headend Network also serves as the interface of the access network to external wide area networks, like the telephone network and the Internet.

Some Headend hardware:

Harmonic PWRBlazer HLR 3830 Optical Node

  • Unit that connects the Fiber from the head end to a group of about 125-500 homes in a Trunk and Branch Coax configuration.
  • Sales Pitch from Harmonic:
    "Designed to address today's needs for high RF distribution levels in broadband hybrid fiber/coax networks, the PWRBlazer Optical Node features multiple output port level options for flexible distribution capabilities and cost-effective operation.

    The node can be configured with a second optical receiver for broadcast, narrowcast or redundant architectures. Three types of Return Path Transmitters are also available."

Teleste BXX PLATFORM Modular HFC node - BXX fibre node

  • This unit from Teleste Access Systems will support a coaxial network of 500-2000 homes.
  • Features:
    - Large removable fibre organiser module — easy fibre installation
    - Modules can be removed without disconnecting coaxial cables
    - Up to four active RF outputs
    - Programmable A/B switching for downstream and upstream signals
    - 1 to 4 fibre connections
    - 1 to 4 coaxial outputs

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.