Atari 2600 Game
Produced by:Activision
Model Number:AZ036
Atari Rarity Guide:5 Rare
Year of Release: 1983

Rescue miners in this adventure game for the Atari 2600. Any game that gives you a jet pack and a laser is good fun. This game is an exception to that rule. It was a wonderful example of advanced programming and design techniques, but it really wasn't all that fun to actually play. It is sort of like Pitfall!, but a lot more complicated and a lot less fun. You have to play the game at a maddeningly slow pace to avoid dying.

You could get a patch from the Activision Club if you got a score of 75,000 points in this game. Although they stopped giving those away years ago, and you probably don't wear jean jackets anymore anyway.

From the instruction manual:
"The mineshafts of Mount Leone present many challenges to a rescuer. I
recommend you watch the opening sequence before playing the game. It'll
give you a feel for the terrain and help you recognize some of the dangers
ahead. Also, the more you play, the better you'll learn your way around
the different mineshafts. Since speed in locating miners earns you more
points, you'll want to move as quickly and efficiently as possible. Here
are a few tips I think you might find useful. “
John Van Ryzin is the programmer on this title. He also did H.E.R.O for the Atari 5200 as well, along with some other forgettable garbage. He was a good programmer, but a bad game designer.

This game is valued at around $15 USD. Games with boxes and manuals are worth more. Although I can't even begin to think of a valid reason to spend $15 or $20 on this thing. You won't ever play it. Is the sight of that cartridge on the shelf worth $20 of your money? Time is money and that $20 represents a chunk of your life that you will never get back. John Van Ryzin was paid to make this game, so he had an excuse to be associated with it. But you don't have any reason to go anywhere near it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.