Small is beautiful.
Small is powerful.
Small is easy to understand.
Guy L. Steele Jr.

The illustrator and author of the forward of The New Hacker's Dictionary (See: Jargon File). First introduced to computers by a MIT lab secretary, who had a local hacker show him around. This eventually led to him getting a job at MIT working on Project MAC. He met ESR over the net, and eventually met him face to face.

He's also the author of Common Lisp: The Language published by Digital Press in 1984 (and the second edition, also published by digital press, in 1990).

In 1975 Steele recieved an A.B. in Applied Mathematics from Harvard College and his S.M. and Ph.D. in computer science and artificial intelligence from M.I.T. (1977 and 1980). He now works at Sun working on the Java spec, parallel alorithms and more. He is also the chairman of the Common Lisp standards commitee. He REALLY likes chess and sung bass in the MIT choral society.

Guy Steele Jr expanded upon the popular "A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!" palindrome thusly:

"A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros, rajahs, a coloratura, maps, snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana bag again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, Spam, a rut, a Rolo, cash, a jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal -- Panama!"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.