Real name Julius; the nominal leader of the Marx Brothers, and the
embodiment of the dual cerebral and physical components in their anarchy. His second career as a quiz show host (You Bet Your Life) was the most
successful of the many Marx&side projects. Made a comeback in the late
60s, as a countercultural elder statesman and patron saint, his mind as sharp as ever.

Hooray for Captain Spaulding, the African explorer!! Hackenbush, Wagstaff and Firefly. President of Freedonia. A freak with a cigar and a painted-on greasepaint mustache. To this day if you go to the grocery store and walk like he did, you will be noticed.
Co-star of Animal Crackers, Duck Soup, A Day at the Races, A Night at the Opera and perennial chaser of women, specially Mrs. Rittenhous "Rittenrotten", the perfect dupe for Groucho's wiley ways.

A comedian and movie star, who is also well-known for his humorous remarks. He is very quotable, to say the least. I give a few nice examples:

  • A woman is an occasional pleasure but a cigar is always a smoke.
  • Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend, and inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
  • Behind every great man stands a woman, and behind her stands his wife.
  • Remember men, we're fighting for this woman's honor, which is more than she ever did.
  • Women should be obscene and not heard.
  • I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book.
  • You've got the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I'll bet he was glad to get rid of it.
  • Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
  • I married your mother because I wanted children, imagine my disappointment when you came along.
  • Quote me as saying I was misquoted.

He was born Julius Henry Marx on October 2, 1890, in New York, NY, and died August 19, 1977 of pneumonia in Los Angeles, CA.

He was arguably the most well-known of the Marx Brothers, which also included Chico, Harpo and Zeppo.

He's starred in such films as Animal Crackers, Monkey Business, Horse Feathers, Duck Soup, A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, Room Service and Skidoo.

He also made notable guest appearances on The Jack Benny Program, The Milton Berle Show, I Dream of Jeannie and The Jackie Gleason Show as well as being the long-time host of You Bet Your Life on both radio and television.

Another quite popular quote is:

I just shot an elephant in my pajamas. What it was doing in my pajamas, I'll never know.

A recurring joke throughout most of the Marx Bros. films is Groucho's character's name. It's usually overly pompous and almost always has an initial in there somewhere. Here are some of the more memorable ones:

Captain Jeffrey T. Spaulding - Animal Crackers
Professor Quincy Adams Wagstaff - Horse Feathers
Rufus T. Firefly - Duck Soup
Otis B. Driftwood - A Night at the Opera
Doctor Hugo Z. Hackenbush - A Day at the Races
J. Cheever Loophole - At the Circus
S. Quentin Quale - Go West
Wolf J. Flywheel - The Big Store
Lionel Q. Deveraux - Copacabana

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.