GrimE (Grim Edit) is the long-awaited follow up to LucasArts' SCUMM engine. Having reached version 8 with Curse of Monkey Island, the programmers at LucasArts decided that the endless updates and improvements to SCUMM had to come to an end, and so a whole new engine was required.

Grime debuted in Grim Fandango, and appeared again, in improved form, in Escape from Monkey Island - for the latter game, it was also ported to PlayStation 2. The new engine gives both those games a very different interface to previous adventure games from LucasArts, since point and click has been dispensed with altogether. Grime instead uses a keyboard interface, although many gamers have felt this to be clumsy and detracting from the desired pursuit of puzzle solving.

Grime-based games feature 3D characters on 2D pre-rendered backgrounds, although the resolution is still limited to 640x480. In this respect, Grime is no more advanced than the latest versions of SCUMM.

The second release of Grime, featured in Escape from Monkey Island, features a number of small improvements; a key to quickly exit a room, for example. However, the much-requested feature of a "quick turn" button, as seen in more recent Resident Evil installments, is still lacking.

If LucasArts develop any furthur graphic adventures, and it seems likely that they will, it will require a much improved version of Grime to satisfy disillusioned fans. The graphical improvements over Scumm are undeniable, but many will not be satisfied until a return to the classic point and click style has been implemented.

As Webster 1913 puts it
Grime (?), n. Foul matter; dirt, rubbed in; sullying blackness, deeply ingrained.

Grime is the latest permutation of UK urban music, growing out of UK Garage and (less directly) dancehall, jungle and hip hop. It emerged at the beginning of the decade as producers centred around East London began to drop the melodic, soulful, chart friendly elements from their sound, and concentrate on nasty, dirty, synthetic sounding percussion and sub rattling bass. Divas and soul-boys went out of the window to be replaced by abrasive MC's, who also bucked the trend for americanisms, and flaunted their cockney vowels. Lyrical matter took a shift towards the real, in its desctiptions both of the great british night out, and of the darker side of urban life. Gangsta flavours are definitely back in, including frequent 'diss' tracks: grime revived the tradition of 'clashing' - a musical face off with a rival crew, although the violence is normally (but not always) constrained to the lyrics. The turning-point from UK garage to grime were probably the So Solid Crew, although many grime connoisseurs consider them to be UK garage leftovers rather than grime progenitors.

Growing up well away from the media circus of the west end and being based around a distinctly unwelcoming sound, grime went unnoticed by the mainstream dance press for quite a while, resulting in a fair bit of confusion as to what the style actually was and what it was called. Names like grime, eski, dubstep, sublow and eight-bar floated around - a situation sent up in Wiley's tune 'What U Call It.' By the mid-noughties, though, the media had got a handle on the scene, and the name 'grime' had stuck to the more in-yer-face, 'street', MC oriented tunes, with 'dubstep' referring to an icy, minimal, instrumental variant on the sound. Meanwhile, the scene had spread to outposts in South London, and other big UK cities. In the style of rap groups like Wu Tang, grime tends to be oriented around 'crews' of MC's and producers, who can record either individually or as a colective. The best known of these is Roll Deep, who seem to have featured pretty much everyone in East London at one time or another.

Of the more established subcultures to pick up on grime, the IDM crowd were, unusually, quickest off the mark - the Rephlex and Planet Mu labels both putting out a lot of the dubstep end of things. Other media attention, particularly in America, has focussed on artists like Lady Sovereign and Dizzee Rascal who fit more closely into the hip hop album-artist template - the whole scene is often erroneously identified with UK hip hop by american commentators.

Major grime and dubstep artists include the aforementioned Wiley, Dizzee and Lady Sov, as well as Loefah, Digital Mysticz, Terror Danjah, Kano, D Double E and Lethal Bizzle, among a host of others.

Grime (?), n. [Cf. Dan. grim, griim, lampblack, soot, grime, Icel. grma mask, sort of hood, OD. grijmsel, grimsel, soot, smut, and E. grimace.]

Foul matter; dirt, rubbed in; sullying blackness, deeply ingrained.

 

© Webster 1913.


Grime, v. t.

To sully or soil deeply; to dirt.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.