Swordfish steaks are an excellent main dish, especially for those who don't usually enjoy seafood. Swordfish has a texture and color that probably most resembles halibut, but is not as stringy. Its taste is very similar to Salmon without being as "fishy." Swordfish isn't cheap though, and depending on your area, may be difficult to find. If you're landlocked, try Trader Joes or a specialty shop.

  • I normally don't advocate the use of dried herbs over fresh when they are available, but in this case (and whenever performing a dry rub) dried herbs tend to work better.
  • Rinse and pat dry the fish.
  • Lightly coat both sides of fish with thyme, black pepper and salt. It's really a matter of taste as to how much to use, but for those who simply must know, use this guideline. 1/2 tbsp of thyme and black pepper and 1 tsp salt should be enough to adequately cover two steaks.
  • Slice lemons, discarding the ends.
  • Place steaks on a low to medium grill.
  • Cover each steak with lemon slices. Three slices per steak should suffice.
  • Cook steaks for about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes per side turning only once. Before turning steaks, remove lemon and then replace after turning. The fish’s flesh should be firm and opaque, but not overly browned.
  • Do not overcook, this will dry out the fish and significantly reduce the pleasure of the meal. If you are concerned that the fish may not be cooked through, place in the microwave for about 35 seconds.
  • Serve with lemons on and accompanied with greens and bread, or pasta. As with any meat, wait a few minutes before cutting to allow the juices to absorb and firm up.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.