The title is based on the famous medical text, Gray's Anatomy. But that's all that has to do with the book. The rest of the show is one-half sitcom, one-half medical drama. It's a great show that was never expected to go far - at least, not by the show's creator and executive producer.

Meredith Grey is a first-year surgical intern at a Seattle hospital, along with "Izzie" Stevens, George O'Malley (who would become her roommates), Cristina Yang and Alex Karev. Training them are Miranda "The Nazi" Bailey, the 'flirtatious but capable' surgeon Derek Shepherd, the arrogant yet skilled surgeon Preston Burke, and the chief Richard Webber.

The story starts with Meredith waking up next to Derek, saying a quick goodbye, and moving off for work. The interns are soon assigned to Miranda, and pretty soon all of them are busy. Meredith is given a patient who needs a neurosurgical operation, to be performed by one Derek Shepherd. Meanwhile, Meredith forms a friendship with Cristina, which is quickly put in jeopardy when Derek chooses Miranda over Cristina to assist with the operation.

Each week, the interns are kept busy with strange medical cases and problems. Things are further complicated for Meredith by her mother, who was once a doctor at the same hospital. She is developing Alzheimer's and Meredith needs to take care of her. Problem is, the two of them don't have a good relationship.

The show is great fun for anybody who liked E.R., Cold Feet, M*A*S*H or other such comedy-dramas I've never heard of.


Source: http://abc.go.com/primetime/greysanatomy/

Train your eyes on the tube and fall into a Sunday night depression as this show is all about crushing any hope of character redemption.

Give up now. Of two choices life traps you into making the worse choice and life is arbitrarily unfair and without the need for any personal reponsibility with our bodies or our commitments or our duty as doctors.

We are sick we are twisted and how can we heal others when our mind is unsound.

We will band together and fight against the cruel fortunes of life and suspend all reality because our oaths are nothing and noone will stop us because we socially object together. All power is vested in our hands even though we are the lowest on the rung.

Modern escapism is a cold detached self-dissection of the victimhood of life in a public medium. I am empty, he cried.

And it is a play within a play because we magnify your struggles and pretend to be your journal for why your life is pointless and unneccesarily hopeful while you sit on your sofa and stare emptily at a beam of light.

But you can bet the ride will be dramatic and you will tune in next time to see what our dimension-and-a-half characters will fall into next.

This is Grey's Anatomy. Don't expect redemption. Cue the music.

Notes:

(1) Ellen Pompeo (who plays Meredith Grey) quips "Something I say a lot is, 'Why does she keep making these stupid mistakes? She's smart enough to make it through medical school, but she can't figure out that she shouldn't be sleeping with strangers.'" --source: http://www.zap2it.com/zap-pompeolessonsgreysanatomy,0,4623490.story?coll=zap-home-promo1 (which was the above the fold story in the local newspaper's TV section this week.)

(2) Medical professionals scoff at Grey's Anatomy season finales --source: http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-unreal29may29,1,2024916.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.