Tonight, 13 October 2011, a Thursday, I have discovered a minor culinary miracle.
Perfectly tailored to the health-conscious college student who finds himself sick of Ramen noodles, nukeable corndogs, Hot Pockets, and other 'bachelor food,' Grahambled Eggs can be made in under three minutes, and per meal they cost between $0.35 and $0.20, depending on the brands of ingredients you choose to purchase.
Additionally, it's quite the healthy meal, containing more beta carotene than the same volume of carrots, lots of protein, iron, and vitamin A, and effectively no sugar, which means this is also a way for diabetics to have something sweet-tasting in their breakfast without suffering for it.
(Of course, anybody with an allergy to egg or wheat products will not be able safely to consume this.)


Abbreviated Nutrition Facts (courtesy http://caloriecount.about.com)
Serving Size: 2 eggs (94g) and 1 cracker (6.7 g)
Calories 229
Protein 15g
Sugars 2.75g
18% daily value Iron
13% daily value Vitamin A

Ingredients:
2 grade A large chicken eggs
1 full size plain graham cracker
(you can get them with cinnamon or honey, but it sharply alters the sugar content and the price)

Supplies:
1 fork or spoon
1 microwave-safe open-topped container (this can double as the bowl from which you eat; saves on washing)
1 microwave oven

Process:
1. Break both eggs into the microwave-safe container
2. Using the fork/spoon, stir the eggs until the yolks are broken and fairly well mixed into the whites
3. Place the dish in the microwave oven, and microwave on its highest setting for 35 seconds
4. Remove the dish, stir the eggs, which will have congealed a bit, until the more-cooked bits are fairly well mixed into the less-cooked bits
5. Place the dish in the microwave oven, and microwave on its highest setting for 45 seconds
6. Remove the dish, stir and chop the eggs, which will now be about 3/4 cooked
7. Place the dish in the microwave oven, and microwave on its highest setting for 45 seconds
8. Remove the dish, chop the eggs, which will now be completely cooked and clumped together in a fluffy ball or disc. If they are still slightly undercooked, nuke them again for 15 seconds longer; be careful, because they will be very hot to handle.
9. Crumble the graham cracker into pieces smaller than 1 inch (2.54 cm) on the eggs, and stir them into the eggs. Lingering moisture on the eggs will soften the cracker pieces, so they won't stab you in the mouth the way dry graham crackers would.
10. Enjoy!


Other Tips:
-If you want your eggs uber-fluffy, add an ounce of milk to them and stir it in before nuking them. It doesn't have much effect on the calorie content, but the eggs will be markedly more voluminous.
-Blueberries and raspberries are fantastic on the side, and they are high in antioxidants, but they add to both the price and the sugar content.
-The eggs can be scrambled on a range, but it takes longer and requires much more cleanup afterward.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.