Grace Is Gone is both the 7th track on the unreleased Dave Matthews Band album "The Lillywhite Sessions" as well as on their 6th studio release, "Busted Stuff". The song, like many on "The Lillywhite Sessions," is uncharacteristically depressing, having been written during a time of heavy drinking and deep depression for Dave.

On the surface of the song, it seems that Dave's had his heart broken by his girl and alcohol is his sole solace, but according to him, that's not why it was written. He has said in radio interviews and during concerts that he wrote the song around the time of his step-father's death. The song speaks of a deep sadness over the loss of a loved one, any loved one.

This is one of DMB's slowest songs. The lyrics take the forefront, supported by a nearly constant snare drum beat. The other instruments play hit-and-run, coming up to speak when needed; a few clever violin notes here, a sax undertone there. The guitar is present only noticably in the intro, first verse, the end jam, and the choruses; during the last two of which, all instruments are playing. Leroi Moore's horn is most noticable during the song, playing a slow dirge. The whole band comes up again during the jam at the end of the song, with guitar work which would indicate that Tim Reynolds, a long-time collaborator with the band, has a part in the song.

Listen to this song in a warm coffee nook, with a fireplace, a blizzard or rainy fog going outside. It's that kind of song.

A full list of the venues at which Grace Is Gone has been played is available here:
http://www.nancies.org/dmbta/catalog/grace.html

Lyric


Neon shines through smoky eyes tonight
It's 2 AM, I'm drunk again
It's heavy on my mind
It's heavy on my mind

I could never love again
So much as I love you
Where you end where I begin
Is like a river flowing through

Take my heart, take my eyes
'Cause I'll need them no more
If never again they'll fall upon
The one I so adore

Chorus:
'Scuse me please, one more drink
Could you make it strong
'cause I don't need to think
She broke my heart
My Grace is Gone
Another drink and I'll move on

One drink to remember, and another to forget
How could I ever dream to find a love like this again
One drink to remember, and another to forget...

Chorus

You think of things impossible
Then the sun refuse to shine
I woke with you beside me
Your cold hand lay in mine

Chorus

Chorus


Sources:
http://www.nancies.org/music/lyrics/grace/
Listening to the song

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.