(Hinduism, Sanskrit)

A name of Krishna, the giver of pleasure to the cows, the land and the senses. He is worshipped in part of the Sri Brahma Samhita, some verse of which were put to music in the 1960s by George Harrison, on the Radha-Krishna Temple Album:

venum kvanantam aravinda-dalayataksham
barhavatamsam asitambuda-sundarangam
kandarpa-koti-kamaniya-vishesha-shobham
govindam adi-purusham tam aham bhajami

angani yasya sakalendriya-vrittimanti
pasyanti panti kalayanti ciram jaganti
ananda-cin-maya-sad-ujjvala-vigrahasya
govinda adi-purusham tam aham bhajami

Sri Brahma-samhita, verses 30 & 32

What do you mean you don't know who Govinda is? He was born in 1958, in the Punjab region in India.

According to a BBC news poll he is the 10th greatest actor of all time (the poll is available here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/381017.stm) and just so you know, he's a Bollywood actor adored by the Indian public (most of them, anyway) and treated as a demi-God.

I think he's in league with Satan.

On the top ten he's up there with Sir Alec Guinness and Sir Laurence Olivier as well as Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin.

If you've seen any of his films you'd probably beg to differ but then in Bollywood anything can happen. Disclaimer: just so you know, I hate Bollywood. Read my node on it.

For a start, in Bollywood there seems to be a heavy case of "irony deficit disorder" which results in a distorted fashion sense. On a good day you might see Govinda (who I should say is not exactly extremely well scultped or thin)wearing a skintight T-shirt with jeans a few sizes to small and a semi-mullet. On a bad day, oh God, it's bad. It might be an orange velvet suit with oversized French cuffs but the point is, he thinks it's cool! Don't be fooled it's not ironic or even post-modern! It's just stupid.

How Govinda got on the top ten actors of all time list is beyond me. I can't claim to be an aficionado of his movies but I have seen some and they are utter shite. Every single aspect, from the script to the humour to the music is pathetic. The jokes are without any exceptions obvious and rely on farce or slapstick. The humour is wholly physical and the acting camp and bizarre.

In a way, however, his movies fall into the so-bad-it's good category and I think they would make for some great episodes of MST3K, even though they're not science fiction.

Looking down his IMDB filmography, I can spot at least 5 or 6 movies where he plays a chacter called Raja or Raju, and let me read you a typical plot of one his movies (taken from the summary section of the IMDB site): "A guide, smitten by a pretty and rich girl of mixed Indo-German parentage, thinks she loves him. She loves another, and the guide has a sweetheart, unaware of her love of him."

Oh my God, give me a break.

Maybe his movies are escapism and provide mild entertainment (in the loosest sense of the word) but ultimately they're brainless and worthless with little redeeming value.

Apparently he's better, though, than Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, and Sidney Poitier to name a few. Mmmm.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.