Goose Green, is an area of the Falkands Islands (or the Malvians), Seperating the Eastern's Isle North and South Landmasses. There is a small hamlet and a population of around 250 People.

Goose Green was also the scene of one of the most famous battles of the Falklands War.

The British Command was worried about a counter attack from the Southern Land Mass (and the actual airstrip) at Goose Green, and therefore decided a raid was nesscarry. The SAS, performed a quick recce and raid. It was then decided that a proper attack was required. Since the terrain was seeming to be boggy, it was to only be attacked by infantry (dispite the fact that the Scorpion AFV's put less pressure on the ground (per square inch) than an Infantryman...). Out of the units in the Falklands (3 Cdo Bde, 2 PARA 3 PARA 1 Scotts Guard 1 Welsh Guards and 7RGR, 2 PARA were picked (don't ask me why).

2 PARA's CO, Lt. Col. "H" Jones (refered to as "H" by his officers, and "Jomesy" by the men, not universally as "H" as claimed by many British Newspapers) asked for gun's and the Helicopeters to move them. the Taskforce commander was told "You don't need helicopters to assualt Mount Longdon, and You don't need Guns to assualt Goose Green". At this point "H" knew that the whole assault would be a SNAFU. With the minimal resources of a Battalion of Para's and 3 105mm Light Guns, he planned his assault. Hampered by the fact that the SAS Recce reports were scetchy (due to London's Inteferance...) "H" Planned a 7 stage attack on the area of Goose Green. It was also discribed as a Silent / Noisy attack - i.e. there would be complete silence until the first assault, and then it would become a noisy attack.

Without the use of maps it is difficult to explain the attack, so I will merely hightlight major areas of interest. Intial objectives were the house on the north east (to be attacked by A Coy.) and the ruins on the north west, running down the the central west (to be attacked by B Coy.). A hill which offered excellent fields of fire into the town of Goose Green and onto the Airfield. This Hill was to be attacked by A Coy. It was "H"'s intent to fight these minor battles with A and B Coys keeping D Coy in reserve, and C (Support) Coy as Fire Support. D Coy would then move up though B Coy and attack Goose Green and the airfield, with A and B and C Coys in reserve, or in fire support roles.

Needless to say that this attack went wrong. During the battle, when A Coy was being pinned down, "H" Jones decided to go forward to assist the floundering attack. The actual reason is lost, although many assume, it was because he was angry and wanted to lead by example. I prefer the reasoning that it wasn't anything new to the PARA's. On numerous occasions on excercise in the UK "H" Jones had been ruled by the DS to be dead. Whichever reason is correct, "H" Jones was the most forward man of the British Army (discounting members of the SAS) at the point he was killed. For this Valour/Stupidity he was award the Victoria Cross. Several other award were made to several officers of the PARA's, which took a hard tole on the Battalion. As well as the CO, the Adjutant, a Company Commander, and second in command were killed, as were several lesser officers and men. For a short time one company was being commanded by the Subaltern of 59 Commando Engineer Regiment.

Dispite all these losses the attack was successful and the Falklands were retaken by June. 2 PARA was the only unit at the Falklands who were involved in more than 1 Battalion Attack, and the Battle Honours held reflect this.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.