This is ridiculous.
Goober

"Goober and the Ghost Chasers" was a short-lived Hanna-Barbera cartoon that aired in 1973. It featured Goober, a dog who became invisible when he was scared (voiced by Paul Winchell), and Ted, Tina, and Gilly, three reporters for the less-than-reputable Ghost Chasers magazine. The quartet would travel around the world responding to various reports of paranormal activity, which often resulted in a mystery or some other sort of caper. If any of this sounds vaguely familiar, well - c'mon. It's Hanna-Barbera.

In terms of quality, though, Goober and crew were a particular blight on the good name of H-B productions. Not only did they rip off Scooby-Doo's plot and general character structure, they even directly lifted backgrounds, music, and sound effects from the show. In addition, the voice acting was subpar: the living legend Winchell merely phoned in his "Tigger" voice for Goober, and none of the human characters had any of the charm of a Shaggy or a Daphne. What's worse, the show's writing was sloppy even by the low standards of the studio, and often relied on guest stars to drag viewers in. It got so bad that after a guest appearance on the first episode, the Partridge Family children (sans David) became semi-regulars on the show, getting top billing over the actors who were supposed to be center stage. Even guest star Wilt Chamberlain couldn't save the show from its well-deserved demise.

All in all, the show ran for 16 episodes in the fall of 1973, and then the shows were re-aired out of order for the 1974 season. You can still catch the show on Cartoon Network's retro affiliate Boomerang.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.