The Dandy Warhols - Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia / 01 - Godless .mp3

Maybe my ears aren't what they used to be (being at the grand old age of 22) but the start of Godless is even more identical to George Harrison's 'My Sweet Lord' than Oasis' 'Don't Look Back In Anger' is to John Lennon's 'Imagine'. See this node for others.

Luckily unlike My Sweet Lord this track keeps the same tune throughout, which is great as the beginning is one of the best set of chords I've heard.

Feedback floods out of the speakers, casually weaving into the tune. Then the guitar strumming starts. Then the horns kick in gently. Finally the finishing touch: Courtney's voice.

He doesn't have the best voice in the world, but some bands rely on the tunes more than a singer who can rescue a shit track.

Sung very quietly, at least in comparison to the instruments, the lyrics always pass me by. Firstly because they are not obvious enough to jump out at me, secondly because I'm always slightly out of it when I play this song!

The track is 5 minutes 20 seconds of atmospheric rock. However, it seems that you couldn't possibly give up 5 minutes 20 seconds of radio airtime to one track, so a fucking awful 'radio edit', with harsh guitars was released. Because being 1 minute shorter means so much, doesn't it?

Thus a load of people, who haven't bought the album think the song is a bit weird after hearing the radio edit, won't be encouraged to buy the album, won't heard the proper version, and so ends the tale of the wonderful song kept from the General Public.

On a lighter note, snobs like me who get some perverse pleasure from being in a minority who like/know a band, get to grin like Cheshire Cats.

God"less, a.

Having, or acknowledging, no God; without reverence for God; impious; wicked.

-- God"less*ly, adv. -- God"less*ness, n.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.