Glib is a fairly interesting C library, because it has a lot of convenient, portable functions, especially those that handle strings (I llllove those, C string handling is really painful without this lib).

(I originally whined about the lack of documentation here; however, it seems that only the bundled texinfo file is incomplete, the gtk.org site luckily has a complete reference.)

Here's some sort of list of the categories of other neat services and data structures this library gives. (Again, if something was left out, blame the folks who left glib undocumented =)

The GObject object model has been in it since 2.0. (Thanks, RPGeek.)

While it is associated with GTK+, and for large part part written by the same people, it's an independent library and doesn't need X or anything. It is distributed under LGPL.

Glib (?), a. [Compar. Glibber (?); superl. Glibbest (?).] [Prob. fr. D. glibberen, glippen, to slide, glibberig, glipperig, glib, slippery.]

1.

Smooth; slippery; as, ice is glib.

[Obs.]

2.

Speaking or spoken smoothly and with flippant rapidity; fluent; voluble; as, a glib tongue; a glib speech.

I want that glib and oily art, To speak and purpose not. Shak.

Syn. -- Slippery; smooth; fluent; voluble; flippant.

 

© Webster 1913.


Glib, v. t.

To make glib.

[Obs.]

Bp. Hall.

 

© Webster 1913.


Glib, n. [Ir. & Gael. glib a lock of hair.]

A thick lock of hair, hanging over the eyes.

[Obs.]

The Irish have, from the Scythians, mantles and long glibs, which is a thick curied bush of hair hanging down over their eyes, and monstrously disguising them. Spenser.

Their wild costume of the glib and mantle. Southey.

 

© Webster 1913.


Glib, v. t. [Cf. O. & Prov. E. lib to castrate, geld, Prov. Dan. live, LG. & OD. lubben.]

To castrate; to geld; to emasculate.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.