GLARE is a new type of material that has been in development at the Delft University of Technology for the past 25 years. It consists of alternating layers of aluminium and glass fibres (the stuff that fibre glass things are made of, like the hulls of most yachts and modern 'plastic' sailplanes). These layers of metal and fibre are glued together using an epoxy. This type of laminate has been dubbed 'Fibre-reinforced Metal Laminate' or FML.

The fibre layers to produce an FML come in a pre-impregnated layer, a so-called prepreg. The impregnate being the epoxy necessary to glue the different layers together. Alternating layers of aluminium and prepregs are stacked up and then cured in an autoclave under controlled temperature and pressure conditions. What comes out after this curing is a ready to use sheet of FML.

The main application for GLARE is thought to be in the aircraft industry, but it has many possible applications. At the moment the Airbus A380, the next step in aircraft design and manufacturing, will depend on GLARE to provide strength, resistance against metal fatigue cracks and low weight properties in a number of structures in the plane. Most notably in the fuselage itself. The first series will have parts of the fuselage made out of GLARE, but the idea is to eventually produce the entire fuselage using GLARE.

The advantages of GLARE are:


Sources:
http://www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/glare/index.html
http://www.glareconference.com/GlareLargeAircaft.pdf

September 5, 2001

Glare (gl&acir;r), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Glared (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Glaring.] [OE. glaren, gloren; cf. AS. glaer amber, LG. glaren to glow or burn like coals, D. gloren to glimmer; prob. akin to E. glass.]

1.

To shine with a bright, dazzling light.

The cavern glares with new-admitted light. Dryden.

2.

To look with fierce, piercing eyes; to stare earnestly, angrily, or fiercely.

And eye that scorcheth all it glares upon. Byron.

3.

To be bright and intense, as certain colors; to be ostentatiously splendid or gay.

She glares in balls, front boxes, and the ring. Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.


Glare, v. t.

To shoot out, or emit, as a dazzling light.

Every eye Glared lightning, and shot forth pernicious fire. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Glare, n.

1.

A bright, dazzling light; splendor that dazzles the eyes; a confusing and bewildering light.

The frame of burnished steel that cast a glare. Dryden.

2.

A fierce, piercing look or stare.

About them round, A lion now he stalks with fiery glare. Milton.

3.

A viscous, transparent substance. See Glair.

4.

A smooth, bright, glassy surface; as, a glare of ice.

[U. S. ]

 

© Webster 1913.


Glare, a. [See Glary, and Glare, n.]

Smooth and bright or translucent; -- used almost exclusively of ice; as, skating on glare ice.

[U. S.]<-- used generally of reflections of the sun -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.