Popular jock Franky, while drunk, has a sexual tumble with his long-time friend, Ballas. Ballas goes on the defensive, claiming his swim-team-mate tried things, but that he resisted and was appalled. The team has already had one gay panic incident-- another swimmer came out, not everyone approved, and the coach handled the matter with terrifically poor judgment.

It's the late 20-teens, so the entire school isn't homophobic. Franky hangs with out queer girl/possibly trans boy "Mouse," and there's at least one gay male student who appears to negotiate school life. Other characters include Franky's divorced parents, his sister, Olivia, and, more controversially, Ballas's sister, Taylor. Shunned by much of the school and her brother for, supposedly, being a "slut," she becomes Franky's ally.

In the end, Franky's sexuality remains an open question. For that matter, so does Ballas's, despite his boasts about his straight sex life.

This 2018 coming-of-age movie has a slow first half, but makes amends in the second. Some strong performances (including Kyle McLaughlin as the protagonist's dad) mark an examination of identity, reputation, rumour, sexual orientation, and toxic masculinity. The teens, played by twentysomethings, are passable, though aspects seem off, especially for supposed 17-year-olds.

The cast works well, however. Emotions seem genuine. High school is complex and varied, though I would question some aspects of this film's depiction.

I mainly watched Giant Little Ones because it was filmed on location in my childhood home town. Of course, it was mainly filmed in those locations that could be from any town. One shot does show a locally iconic bridge and a few highlight the city's largest park.

These locations won't interest many potential viewers. If you want to see a fairly credible film about high school and identity, you might want to check out Little Giant Ones.

300 words

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.