Here are some simple guidelines to follow, if you feel the need to save a few bucks and get your hair cut at a Barber School.

  • Ask for something easy. Preferably, a buzz, but anything that can be explained in three words. "Short in back". "Trim all around". "Shave it off". Etc.
  • Keep smiling. Nothing ruins a student barber's confidence like seeing you scowling at your reflection in the mirror. A small, polite smile will bolster his or her self-esteem.
  • No chatting. Sometimes, a friendly conversation with a barber is proper, but remember - this is a bumbling beginner, who can barely hold his scissors straight. Be a distraction at your own peril!
  • Locate the teacher. In any barber school, you will find a teacher roaming around, checking on the students. Usually he or she is older and wears a different shirt. Try to make brief eye-contact or attract his attention in some way. When he pays a visit, he might correct any mistakes your student barber may have made! At least, the ones that can be corrected.
  • Don't. If you don't want to look like a freak with a lop-sided skull, pay five more dollars and get a real haircut. I speak from experience.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.