Leave it to the Germans to find to find the most efficient way to make a pancake. Cook it on top of the stove? But then you'd have to flip it. Why don't you just bake it?

Pancake:
3 large eggs
3/4 C. milk
3/4 C. flour
1/2 t. salt
5 T. butter (this recipe is many things. Healthy is not one of them)
4 T. sugar

Combine eggs, milk, flour and salt in a medium size bowl. Beat with an egg beater or electric mixer until smooth. Preheat the oven to 450o and melt 1 T. of the butter in a 10 or 11" heavy aluminum or cast iron skillet (Note: this will be going in the oven, so don't get cheap here. A shoddy skillet will only make a mess of things).

When the skillet is very hot, pour the batter into it and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350o and bake for another 10 minutes until it's golden brown in color and crisp. The center of pancake will puff up during baking - puncture it with a skewer or fork so it doesn't get out of control. When done, remove from the oven and turn out ont a long platter. Drizzle about 2 T. of hot melted butter and 2 T. sugar over the entire surface.

German pancakes are traditionally filled with some sort of fruit filling, apples being the most popular. I have a recipe for apple filling which works very well, but you can also use jam or jelly, or anything else that sounds good to you. If you do fill it, fold the pancake over to enclose the filling and drizzle the rest of the butter and sugar over the top. Serve quickly - this meal is no good cold.

Serves 6 to 8 if you're conservative in your portions, or 2 to 4 if you're anything like my friends.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.