To begin with: the Z and the Y are switched. Irritating. And then there are all the umlauts. Ok, that's bearable.

But, the real problem is that the German keyboard is simply NOT designed to work with Everything (quite possiblly on purpose).

The standard keyboard (that is, as I know it) has top-right the square brackets on two regular keys (no Shift needed.) Well, in Germany, there's a special shift called Alt+Gr which sometimes works like Alt, sometimes not. Then, to go with Alt+Gr, there are keys with three symbols on them, instead of just two: one regular, one Shift, and one Alt+Gr. Well, guess what. The square brackets are a Alt+Gr way up there on the number line.

Ok. That's bad. I can get used to it though. What then? Well, not just against E2 but actually against all of Html-dom the angle brackets are put on the same key! That means one must master a Key-Contents-Shift+Key sequence. And when one needs to markup: <strong><em><big>Stuff</big></em></strong> life is not easy.

I would just like to point out, though, that it is easier than typing that with escape sequences. Whew...

This is the German keyboard layout:

Unshifted:

^ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 ß ´
   q w e r t z u i o p ü +
    a s d f g h j k l ö ä #
   < y x c v b n m  , . -

Shifted:

° ! " ยง $ % & / ( ) = ? `
   Q W E R T Z U I O P Ü *
    A S D F G H J K L Ö Ä '
   > Y X C V B N M ; : _

The at sign, the backslash, the brackets, curly brackets, the pipe and the tilde can all only be obtained with AltGr.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.