Generalfeldmarschall is the highest military rank in the German Wehrmacht. Generalfeldmarschall is given to only a very small handful of Generals in the Heer and Luftwaffe. It is on par with Großadmiral of the Kriegsmarine, of which there was only two. A "Field Marshal," as one would call them in English, was above the other ranks of General. It is equivalent to the General of the Army or Fleet Admiral in the American rank system.

A Field Marshal also wore distinctive insignia to set them apart from other Generals of the Wehrmacht. Their red collar tabs had longer oak leaves than that of a General's. In addition, instead of wearing pips on their General Officer shoulder boards to denote their level, they wore a silver pair of crossed batons in the middle of the boards. A Field Marshal also had a "Field Marshal's baton" that they carried in official portraits and during ceremonies. It was basically a baton, dressed with red velvet, iron crosses, and other Third Reich symbols. It was a symbol of thier authority as a Field Marshal.

Unlike lower Generals may be, a Feldmarschall was not attached to a specific branch or division. For example, there might be a General der Infantrie (Infantry General) but a Feldmarschall retains authority over all divisions in their command. The highest Generalfeldmarschall in the Wehrmacht, was of course Feldmarschall Keitel, the "Chef Oberkommando der Wehrmacht."

For the full rank structure of the Wehrmacht, see Wehrmacht Ranks.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.