OK - the above makes Gendou sound vaguely normal.

Gendou Ikari was a normal chapie up until somewhere around 2005, when his wife Yui died (or alternatively was absorbed by Unit 01) during an early Evangelion activation test. Shinji was sent away from home by his father - in many ways to protect him from Nerv and his father.

After this, Gendou turned in on himself, and became a hard-edged man that no-one could touch, someone who would use anyone and anything to achieve his goals. Even his son. Even his world.

Gendou is in charge of Nerv - the top secret UN organisation that is meant to be the last line of defense against the Angel. The primary weapon for use against them was created by Project E - the Evangelions. These are fearsome creatures that are man's best attempt at building an Angel.

However, this is just a cover up story - Nerv and all of the technical might of Eva is just a cover story for the Human Instrumentality Project. The HIP is being run by Gendou Ikari for Seele, the committee overseeing Nerv. Gendou, however, is merely using Seele and the HIP to achieve his goals - returning his lost love Yui to him.
The pawns in this game from Gendou's point of view are Nerv, Seele, Shinji (his son), Rei Ayanami, and Dr Ritsuko Akagi. There are many more (Kaji, Misato Katsuraga, Asuka Langley Soryu, etc...) but they are all sub points - minor items to manipulate, and if needed, to deal with.
Commander of Special Agency NERV. Formerly named Gendou Rokubungi, he changed his name upon marrying Yui Ikari, whom he had been seeing since her university years. He served as Chief of Research at the U.N. Artificial Evolution Laboratories, which was actually a front for promoting the E Project. After Yui's death, he devoted himself to the "Adam Project" and "Instrumentality Project (Human Complementation Project)". Backed by SEELE, he achieved a number of goals including the construction of the Evangelions. However, his honeymoon with SEELE lasted only until the last Angel had been defeated, after which their difference in objectives became apparent and developed into military confrontation. Birthdate: April 29, Blood type:A

Source: The End of Evangelion : Glossary contained within The End of Evangelion - Theatrical Program.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.