Games Workshop is in the habit of creating differently marked dice for its games, rather than using look up tables. These new dice are invariably D6es, as Games Workshop really hates dice with an unusual number of sides (perhaps because square dice are easier to store, or perhaps because polyhedral dice make the hobby seem too nerdy).
Once they've invented a new funny dice, Games Workshop go to great lengths to incorporate it into as many games as possible, whether it simplifies the game or not. The Cannon of Khorne was introduced in a Space Marine supplement, so as to justify bundling an Artillery Dice (I can count on one hand the uses of an Artillery dice in Space Marine). The Skullcrusha cannon, introduced in Titan Legions is particularly contrived, being the only weapon in a game system consisting of two boxed games, and four supplements that uses a Sustained Fire dice.
The numbers on Funny Dice are all Arabic Numerals, not spots, so they are easily distinguished from regular D6. Funny Dice with some numbers the same are different colours, so they may be easily distinguished. Funny dice include:
- Artillery Dice: white, 2cm, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, "misfire"
- Sustained Fire Dice: red, 2cm, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, jam symbol
- Scatter Dice: white, 2cm, protected by patent
- Epic Aim Dice: white, 2cm, "", "", "", "", "up"/"left", "down"/"right"
Epic aim dice are used in pairs - one has "up" and "down" printed on it, the other "left" and "right".
- Space Crusade Dice: white, 1.5cm, wooden, 0, 0, 1, 1, 2, 2
- Space Crusade 'Heavy Weapons' Dice: red, 1.5cm, wooden, 0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3