Game Boy

Game Boy Games

Game Boy Accessories

Miscellaneous

Nodeshells



Any additions/corrections/suggestions? Please /msg me. I will be adding to this list.

The Nintendo gameboy is a hand-held games console with unlit 4 shade greyscale LCD display. Released in 1989 it uses a Z80 processor running at 4 Mhz and games are supplied on cartridge. Because it is not backlit the batteries last 10 hours, way longer than competitors. By 1998 it had become the best-selling games console of all time, and the Color Gameboy was released. Famous games include Tetris, Zelda and the Mario series.

It's one of the longest lasting consoles, and has one of the largest libraries of games, possibly the largest.

Backward compatibility with a huge library of games, along with long battery life, are what has kept the Game Boy popular when Nintendo releases new versions of it. Moreover, though the Game Boys Color and Advance could easily stand alone as systems, because of their obvious improvements on the original Game Boy, the Game Boy Pocket was a truly unnecessary release (especially since the Color came so soon after), and would have been nothing without the Game Boy's established back catalog of games. In any case, all these new Game Boys have been severely lacking in an important area...

Sure, a color display and more power are nice, but where's our backlight?
Short for Game Boy Color, the third generation of Nintendo's line of popular handheld gaming systems. The progression went like:

Game Boy: This large white box was the front runner in portable gaming systems. It took 4AA batteries, and did not last very long on a charge. It had a huge library of great titles, such as Metroid 2, the always popular Tetris, many good offerings from Square, etc.

Game Boy Pocket: This lighter and more compact (thus the "Pocket" inclusion in the title), took the Game Boy, upped it's battery life, moving to a two AAA battery scheme, and reduced the blur associated with the original Game Boy. The link cable size was reduced, and needed an adaptor to work with the older model. Still 100% compatible. The unit itself was available in several different colors.

Game Boy Color: This most recent offering added improved clarity, the ability to color-ize old games (thus giving the four-color scheme contrast), and the ability to run newer full color games. This was an amazing leap for the gameboy. The sound was still as good as ever, the non-color games are still fully supported, and the battery life got better (the battery size was increased to AA). The link cable was virutally removed, as an efficient IR connection now lies in it's place for faster and easier connections. There is still a port for backwards compatibility with older cabling systems. The power adapter has also moved to a proprietary unit.

The game boy has sold millions of units, and has been described and Nintendo's silent success, as it has stood the test of time, and competitors.
Some miscenllaneous facts tidbits about everyone's favorite handheld game machine...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.