The Galloway is a fairly successful breed of cattle with six subdivisions based on color variations (including the Belted Galloway), all originally bred in south-west Scotland.

One of the purest breeds of cattle in the world today, largely because they've been monitored and bred carefully for centuries, the Galloway is still prized for its well-marbled meat.

The Galloway is a moderately-sized breed and doesn't have horns (ranchers describe hornless cattle as being "polled.")

This node is part of Tem42's list of cattle breeds, entitled, simply, cattle.

Galloway is an area of Southern Uplands of Scotland. It is generally defined as the area between North Channel to the west, the river Nith to the east, the Galloway Hills to the north, and Solway Firth to the south. How much of the Galloway Hills are part of Galloway is up for debate, as they are rather barren and did not have many settlers claiming them; they are now a part of Galloway Forest Park.

Historically, Galloway consisted of historic counties of Wigtownshire and Kirkcudbrightshire, but as of 1975 it is one-half of the council area of Dumfries and Galloway. The name comes from the Gaelic i nGall Gaidhealaib ("amongst the Stranger-Gaels"), a reference to the decedents of mixed Scandinavian and Gaelic populations that inhabited the area.

The area has long been known for the Galloway pony, a hardy but handsome breed of pony, and Galloway cattle, a likewise hardy breed of black, hornless cattle. In the 1920s a second local cattle breed was established, the Belted Galloway, which is known for quality marbled beef. Historical documents also note that they had excellent eels. Currently the area is most likely to be touted for its tourism potential, with the Galloway Forest Park -- claiming to be the largest forest in the UK -- and the Mull of Galloway -- the southernmost point of Scotland -- having a number of picturesque, if desolate, hiking trails.

234

Gal"lo*way (?), n. Zool.

A small horse of a breed raised at Galloway, Scotland; -- called also garran, and garron.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.