A mountainous region in Northern Israel, divided into "Upper" and "lower".

Principal Cities: Sefad, Nazareth, Tiberias, Kiryat Shemona, Karmiel.

To the east of the Galilee lies the Sea of Galilee.

Places I'd reccomend to visit in Galilee are the Dishon river, Amud river, Dugit beach (although that's more of a Golan than Galilee...), a nifty hole named Kadita which is near Sefad, Zichron Ya`akov and the Baron's parks nearby.

If your'e in shape you can go on and climb on Mt. Tabor and the Carmel ridge (I suggest crossing it east-to-west from around Kibbutz Yagour). Hitch hiking through the kibbutzim along the Lebanese border wasn't a bad idea for me as well.

Places to avoid at all costs are Tiberias and downtown Haifa. They stink.

Gal"i*lee (?), n. [Supposed to have been so termed in allusion to the scriptural "Galilee of the Gentiles." cf. OF. galil'ee.] Arch.

A porch or waiting room, usually at the west end of an abbey church, where the monks collected on returning from processions, where bodies were laid previous to interment, and where women were allowed to see the monks to whom they were related, or to hear divine service. Also, frequently applied to the porch of a church, as at Ely and Durham cathedrals.

Gwilt.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.