Galacidalacidesoxyribonucleicacid is one of a series of large canvases Dali created post-World War II. This one measures over 10 ft x 11ft. It was created in 1963 and is on display at the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Many of Savador Dali's early surrealistic paintings centered on the erotic, the political, or art itself. Yet Dali always kept abreast of science and his Catholic upbringing had an obvious religious impact. These twin interests of science and spirituality became apparent in his later works. The name of this painting is taken from that of his wife (Gala), himself, and DNA; Galacid, dalacid, desoxyribonucleicacid (sic).

This painting is from Dali's mystical or classical period and is rife with religious imagery. Juxtaposed against this Sistine Chapel tableau are turbaned riflemen arranged in geometric squares each holding a gun to another's head, and a representation of the DNA double-helix molecule.

Sparked by a Barcelona tragedy (a flashflood that killed 450 people), the painting is of life and death, causality, science and religion, the face of God. For those who dislike modern art, especially abstract art, this canvas will be more to their liking.


Note:The title of this painting is one word. E2 apparently didn't like its 33-character length so it was broken up into three words for the node title.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.