G-funk, also known as G funk, is an interesting mixture of funk and gangsta rap. Supposedly created by Dr. Dre on the album The Chronic, G-funk is an new spin on the sounds of the Parliament and other classic funk. The Chronic was characterized by a mix of laid-back synth sounds, deep bass, and sometimes female backing vocals. Other G-funk includes most of these elements.

Key works incorporating G-Funk include Dogg Food by Tha Dogg Pound, Doggystyle by Snoop Doggy Dogg, Dr. Dre Presents the Aftermath, and above all, Regulate...G Funk Era by Warren G.

On the first track of Warren G's Regulate, the basic sounds and concepts of G-Funk are laid down. Regulate's lyrics say

funk / on a whole new level / the rhythm is the bass and the bass is the treble / chords / strings / we brings / melody / G-Funk / where rhythm is life / and life is rhythm... it's the G-Funk era / funked out with a gangster twist / if you smoke like I smoke / then you high like every day / and if your ass is a buster / 213 will regulate.
G-Funk has a wonderful laid-back badass theme to it. Central ideas to G-Funk are weed, cruisin', women and regulating, keeping people in line like the cool gangsta you are. G-Funk seems more mellow, groovy and cool than gangsta rap. Perfect cruisin' music, no doubt.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.