The second biggest island of the Royal Danish Kingdom. (Zealand is bigger, and Greenland doesn't count)
Biggest city on the island is Odense with about 150.000
citizens - making it the third biggest in Denmark.

As of 1999, Fyn has 471,732 inhabitants - which is about 9% of the population.
Fyn (english: Funen), along with the islands(*) Sjælland and Jylland, makes up the Kingdom of Denmark. It has been called Denmark's "garden isle", being largely rural and green in character, with rollwing woodlands, pastures, wheat fields, and a large number of old farmhouses. During the month of May, the landscape of Fyn is dominated by burgeoning fields of rapeseed flowers.

The island is home to the city of Odense, Hans Christian Andersen's birthplace, and the towns of Faaborg, Svendborg, Langeland, and Ærø. A notable site of interest is Egeskov Castle.

At present the island is connected to Sjælland only by ferry across the Store Bælt (Great Belt), but there is an ambitious project underway to link the two islands via a 20km road bridge, and also an undersea railway tunnel, between Korsør and Nyborg.

(*) Though Jutland (Jylland) is really a peninsula (Danish: halvø -- "half-island").

Funen ( Fyn in danish ), is the second largest island in Denmark. It is 1,152 square miles = 2,985 square km. It lies between between Jutland and Zealand. The biggest city on Funen is Odense where approx. 140.000 people are living.
For danes who either live on Jutland or Zealand and have no relation with Funen, the island mostly consist of the highway that runs right across.
The most famous man who ever lived on Funen was H.C. Andersen, he lived in Odense from his birth in 1807 to 1819, where he left Odense.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.