Funky Monks is a documentary by Gavin Bowden that follows the making of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' album BloodSugarSexMagik.

Filmed in black and white it is very chrisp looking, yet a bit understated. This is good I think because the best part of the film is the soundtrack -- the early versions of songs, interviews, ect. -- and if the screen was too saturated it would destract from what you are listening too.

The film itself starts when the band moves into a Los Angles area mansion to live and record in. You follow each of the band members and producer Rick Ruben as they record each track, in addition to watching them hang out, smoke, look at porn and watch the Lakers. In between there are interviews, and the best are with guitarist John Frusciante.

His interviews are interesting because when you look at him you can see his heroin problem developing as he talks. (Shortly after the album debuted he would leave the band.) In addition it's really funny to hear him ramble on in a "deep" way about his art, his feelings, and how his erection is both his friend and his enemy.

Funky Monks is a good film if you are a Peppers fan or really like the album BloodSugarSexMagik, otherwise it might not hold your attention.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.