Mountain railway having two cars at either end of a cable, the ascending one counterbalanced by the descending one.
Latin funiculus (rope).

Fu*nic"u*lar (?), a. [Cf. F. funiculaire.]

1.

Consisting of a small cord or fiber.

2.

Dependent on the tension of a cord.

3. Anat.

Pertaining to a funiculus; made up of, or resembling, a funiculus, or funiculi; as, a funicular ligament.

Funicular action Mech., the force or action exerted by a rope in drawing together the supports to which its ends are Fastened, when acted upon by forces applied in a direction transverse to the rope, as in the archer's bow. -- Funicular curve. Same as Catenary. -- Funicular machine Mech., an apparatus for illustrating certain principles in statics, consisting of a cord or chain attached at one end to a fixed point, and having the other passed over a pulley and sustaining a weight, while one or more other weights are suspended from the cord at points between the fixed support and the pulley. -- Funicular polygon Mech., the polygonal figure assumed by a cord fastened at its extremities, and sustaining weights at different points.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.