Sizzling Cycle Circus Spectacular!

Dust off your unicycle, dig out you clown noses, and pedal on down to Portland Bikesummer's much anticipated Full Moon Treasure Hunt Cycle Circus and Pedal-Powered Bike-In Movie beginning August 22nd at 8pm at the Alberta Co-operative Grocery parking lot on NE 15th and Alberta Streets.

This ecclectic event will feature live costumed circus-esque style clue givers performing the directional hints that will lead participants to the secret big top bike-in screening location. As riders arrive at this colorful site, they will be greeted by a menagerie of unicyclists, bike parts jugglers, flaming bike rim performers, bicycle jousters, eccentric altered bicycle vendors, and cycle stunt daredevils.

A stilt walking MC, accompanied by the beautiful and sveltly spandex clad "Reflectorettes" dancers, will kick off the show with an introduction of the "Gentle Lovers", our local sponsored racing team who will apply their mightly thigh power to a 7-seated pedal-powered generator, designed and built specifically for this event by master of recycled invention Ben Yang. This amazing alternative energy device will actually fuel the projector and lights for our film presentation!

The motion picture extravaganza is a one hour series of silent and sound 16mm shorts selected and edited by the incomparable Dennis Nyback of Clinton Street Theater fame, focusing on bicycle, circus, and various dancing wizardry themes.

Throughout the film audience members will be invited to join in the magic by "racing" with the pros on the pedal-powered generator in 5-10 minute heats. Audience members will also have chances to earn great prizes from participating NE Businesses for "The Costumed Clown You Would Least Want to Invite to Your Child's Birthday Party," "Best Big Top Decorated Bike," and "Most Likely to Fall Off a Tightrope."

This family event open to all ages is sponsored in part by a generous grant from BikeSummer, financial support from New Seasons Market, and endless kind assistance of Alberta Co-operative Grocery and numerous NE Portland businesses.


Thursday August 22 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Start at Alberta Co-operative Grocery
1500 NE Alberta St
Contact: Gail Buteau 503-286-8680

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.