A play written by Canadian Playwright Linor David about a woman who has lost her ability to orgasm. The main (and only) character spends the play talking to an imagined Anaïs Nin - whose writings she had adored (and masturbated to in the past), and whom she adored for her sexual liberty.

An interesting question asked within: "What is it like to have sex with your father (an act referred to in Anaïs' writings); can it ever be consensual?" David - through the character believes that it isn't in fact possible to have consensual sex with your father.

This play is quite challenging both for the audience, and I would imagine the actor: the action transcends normal rules of propriety in that: the actor is masturbating in vain on stage, which is usually reserved for that private time between yourself and your imagination; so too with the plight of the audience, they are thrust into the bedroom of a woman struggling to find release. The action was both enthralling and off-putting, I found myself wanting to watch, but also feeling that societal stigma telling me to avert my eyes.

On the topic of release, the sub-plot involves the parallel retention of constipation. Much Metamucil is drank in the opening scene, with the implication that this has been core to her diet.

Being set around a night in the life of an Anaïs fan, the story is rife with eroticism. In one scene we find our character role-playing a boy trying to make lust with his date: safe at first base cupping the "breast" outside the shirt; moving on to second with little pause, under the shirt, over the bra; struggling with the bra clasp; and finally skin! It is surprising that the actor didn't chip a tooth on the chair-cum-lover that night.

Those sympathetic souls in the audience are eventually released as our protagonist does eventually come to orgasm - followed quickly by her bolting to the washroom to find other release.

Note: You will see masturbation in this play, you are now warned.

References to the specific production are that of the Peterborough run starring Rachel Matlow.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.