The Fuchs is a 6x6 Armoured Personnel Carrier in service with the British Army, although it is not used in this role with Britain's armed forces. The Fuchs is of German origin, and was manufactured by Thyssen Henschel under the designation "Transport Panzer 1." There are seven different versions of the Panzer 1 in use with the German armed forces, who have around 1, 000 of these vehicles.

The British use the Fuchs because of its NBC reconnaisance variant, 10 of which were purchased during the 1991 Gulf War. These 10 vehicles now form the main element of the UK's Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Defence Regiment. For this the Fuchs have been fitted with the joint UK/US "Provisional Biological Detection System", or PBDS. The Fuchs is also amphibious, with a maximum water speed of 10.5 kph.

The NBC variant of the Panzer 1 (Fuchs) in service with the British Army is also used by the USA with 60 vehicles, Israel with 8, the Netherlands who have 6, and Turkey has 4.

Specs:

Length: 6.83 m
Width: 2.98 m
Height: 2.3 m
Weight: 17, 000 kg
Ground clearance: 0.4 m
Max road speed: 105 kph
Road range: 800 km
Engine: Mercedes-Benz Model OM 402A V-8 Liquid-cooled Diesel
Fuel capacity: 390 litres
Horsepower: 320 bhp
Crew: 2 (Driver and Gunner) + maximum of 10 passengers in APC role
Main armament: 7.62 mm GPMG (General Purpose Machine Gun)
Other armaments: Smoke Dischargers (Royal Ordnance VIRSS *)
NBC Proof: Yes
Night Vision: Yes

* VIRSS = "Visual and Infra Red Screening Smoke"

(Other vehicles used by the British Army: AS90 | Challenger 2 | Saxon | Scimitar | Spartan | Striker | Warrior)


Sources:
www.army.mod.uk
"The British Army: a Pocket Guide"


I have to supply some context to Webster´s definition of Fuchs. While technically correct, it is a rather oldfashioned expression and nobody actually calls a first year student a Fuchs. Except the guys in student associations, called Burschenschaft in German. And, you see, most of these Burschenschaften are very conservative and right-wing, therefore they have a dubious reputation. Being a Fuchs in a Burschenschaft means that you are new and you will be bullied. The bright side is that you will be the one to bully the new Füchse next year, if that sort of thing is attractive for you.

So keep in mind, nobody will understand if you call him a Fuchs except if he´s in a Burschenschaft.

Come to think of it, people would understand "Du bist ein Fuchs!", but in a completely different way - you might say it when somebody has just done something very clever.

Fuchs (?), n. [G., prop., a fox.] German Univ.

A student of the first year.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.