There's a gently frumpy old woman named Peggy in my mom's church congregation. She has made this salad for every single fellowship gathering for the last twenty-odd years and even though I know certain supposed fellow "brothers and sisters in Christ" chuckle about the predictability of Peggy's culinary contribution to the bi-weekly potluck luncheon, I think it's one of the most popular items on the menu and certainly always finds someone scraping the bottom of its bowl. Whenever I get dragged along to one of these functions it's usually the only thing I fill my plate with and the one redeeming aspect of spending an afternoon amidst the dour Southern Baptist pastor and his brigade of bible thumpers. It will be an epicureal disappointment the day they find themselves without this dish on the buffet table.

Peggy's Chinese Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
2 c. cold shredded, sliced or chopped grilled or fried chicken breast
1 head of cabbage(green)
or
1 lb. bag of coleslaw mix
1 bunch green onions
6 tbls. oil
8 tbls. sesame seeds, uncooked, unsalted
4 oz. sliced or slivered almonds
2 pkgs. chicken ramen noodles
Dressing:
3 tbls. honey
1 tsp. pepper
6 tbls. rice vinegar
2 flavor packets (from ramen noodles)
1 c. oil

Directions:
1. Thinly slice cabbage head and set aside. Chop green onions. Combine and set aside.
2. Crush ramen noodles, saving flavor packets for the dressing. Stir fry, on high heat, sesame seeds, almonds and noodles till brown and aromatic.
3. Whisk together dressing ingredients.
4. If you are making this ahead of time keep salad mix, toasted mix and dressing separate till ready to serve. Otherwise, toss it all together and ENJOY!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.