Body language. A facial expression which includes a wrinkled forehead and squinty eyes and indicates disapproval.

But take away the squint and you get something like consternation.

You wear a frown, yet it isn't clothing. Go figure.

One of those tacit knowledge things, something everyone understands yet noone has ever explained it to us.

Frown (?), v. i. [imp. &, p. p. Frowned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Frowning.] [OF. froignier, F. frogner, in se refrogner, se renfrogner, to knit the brow, to frown; perh. of Teutonic origin; cf. It. in frigno wrinkled, frowning, Prov. It. frignare to cringe the face, to make a wry face, dial. Sw. fryna to make a wry face,]

1.

To contract the brow in displeasure, severity, or sternness; to scowl; to put on a stern, grim, or surly look.

The frowning wrinkle of her brow. Shak.

2.

To manifest displeasure or disapprobation; to look with disfavor or threateningly; to lower; as, polite society frowns upon rudeness.

The sky doth frown and lower upon our army. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Frown, v. t.

To repress or repel by expressing displeasure or disapproval; to rebuke with a look; as, frown the impudent fellow into silence.

 

© Webster 1913.


Frown, n.

1.

A wrinkling of the face in displeasure, rebuke, etc.; a sour, severe, or stere look; a scowl.

His front yet threatens, and his frowns command. Prior.

Her very frowns are fairer far Than smiles of other maidens are. H. Coleridge.

2.

Any expression of displeasure; as, the frowns of Providence; the frowns of Fortune.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.