Danish meatballs

Pronunciation: "Frika'dél'ler".

Another classic from Traditional Danish cooking. Now, the recipe for this dish is certainly not carved in stone. In Denmark literally dozens of varieties exist, so much that each small town or even from household to household has their own little variation or special touch. This recipe here is more or less my fathers, I have no idea where he got it from.

Ingredients

  • 250 g minced pork
  • 250 g minced beef
  • 1 egg
  • 1 or 2 chopped onions
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 or 4 teaspoons clove
  • 6 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
  • 3 tablespoons of flour
  • margarine for the frying pan

Preparation

Mix the meat thoroughly with the egg and the chopped onions.
Add the rest the ingredients and stir them up carefully so everything is evenly mixed.
Use a tablespoon to scoop up egg sized lumps of meat and turn them in your hand until they are nice and round.
Fry on the pan using as much margarine as necessary.

Serving

There is a multitude of possibilities. Hot from the pan they are served with white potatoes and brown sauce. In southern Jutland you can expect to get some kind of cabbage stew, instead of potatoes and brown sauce. They are excellent for freezing and heating up for later use. In the summertime you serve them warm with a fresh potato-mayonnaise salad. It is also often seen as part of Det store kolde bord.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.