The Free Presbyterian Church was founded in Northern Ireland by the Reverend Ian Paisley when he felt that the ordinary Presbyterian church wasn't condemning the Catholics or the Pope enough, and was straying from true doctrine. It is worthy of note that Rev. Ian Paisley is a highly respected member of the Northern Ireland community whose reputation is international, and well, one has to say it, legendary. The previous statement is neutral on his politics. Having just come through the recent elections with the second largest mandate in Northern Ireland's history for his Political Party (DUP) both his politics and his church seem to be getting stronger, not weaker.

The main thrust of Free Presbyterianism seems to be similar to the ordinary Presbyterian Church, with Sobriety, clean living, penance, hard work, and upright nature, however there are a few notable differences in doctrine. The most reported being the belief that the Catholic church is evil, and that the Pope is the Anti-Christ. Needless to say, most if not all of the congregation of this church are Unionists. From meeting a few in the course of daily life, I find them affable, intelligent, and well read. They guard their religious views very tightly and defend them at the drop of a hat. They also seem to regard other religions outside of Christianity as more of a curiosity than anything else, which I can find funny for some reason. But on the whole they are nice people who try to get on with their lives the best they can. They are very loyal to their families and traditions, like all Presbyterians.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.