Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (In 3D!) (1991) - Weasello Rating: {>>--} (Blue) {{ Prequel - Sequel}}
Please note that this review is laden with spoilers.

Well, I figured it was about time to watch a few more movies in the series and finish off my reviews of Freddy's good-time killings. I wish I had rented Zoolander or something instead. Let's see why...

Body count: Three males and a female makes a total of 4. They were all killed in... well... Somewhat creative ways.

Freddy's Injury Tally: Freddy did most of the big damage himself, mainly cutting off his own fingers one by one. The damage inflicted by others includes two kicks and a punch, several swings of a baseball bat, a lead pipe to the face, hit with a spiny mace, punched in the hand, head-butted, 2 of his own glove swipes to his face, his nose was chomped on (points for bravery), four of his fingers were broken, skewered with a knife, hit with a crossbow bolt, and a crowbar was jammed end-wise into his chest. *gasps for air* He was then stabbed in the chest with his own glove, which made him then (and only then) scream in pain. Freddy was done in when a stick of dynamite was thrust into his chest and he was blown to smithereens.

Plot Outline: In this movie, Freddy's long-lost daughter makes an appearance. She was an orphaned child and she had no recollection of Freddy (for the most part). The movie opens with her and her friends in the child placement agency (or supervised slum, whichever strikes your fancy).

It turns out that every single child in Freddy's old town has been killed... Not only killed, but wiped from history! The entire town has pretty much gone insane... You know, waking up with a household of kid's stuff but not having a kid? It'll make you go batty. Anyways, the town is empty save for the insane old people. It is Freddy's mission to draw more young people to the same town so that he can slaughter them.

He invades the mind of a teen in a neighboring town and uses him to lure his friends to the city. All children. Fresh meat for the grinder, as it were.

As the children are slowly picked off, one-by-one, they quickly determine how to kill Freddy - they have to drag him into the real world by giving him a biiig hug.

Then Freddy dies, once and for all. He pretty much says "You've tried killing me with {lists every death method from previous movies}, but you never tried my one weakness! Bwahaha! And that weakness is:..." So, yes, I am sure he is dead this time. The sequel will have to have some fancy explaining to do!

My Opinion: This movie would have been much, much more enjoyable if I had my 3D glasses. But I didn't, so the movie sort of lost its focus. The plot was kind of hokey, but it was still humorous. I suppose it's worth watching for the back-story and some history on Freddy himself...

I wouldn't rent this movie if I were you, however. Unless you have 3D glasses. In that case, be sure to rent the 3D-enabled DVD!

Interesting Notes:
  • The last 45 minutes of the movie were shot completely in 3-D. Though removed for the VHS video release, you can still see the 3-D scenes on the DVD rental! (All you need now are 3-D glasses)
  • Because of the last 45 minutes being in 3D, accompanying the already-chintzy visual effects are a slew of sharp objects flying at the screen. Way too many of them. They actually detracted from my movie-viewing experience. Jason had this same problem.
  • Turning on a sprinkler and flashing a strobe light in a dark room does not make a realistic backdrop for a model airplane.
  • This is the first movie where you get to see (via flashbacks) Freddy before he became... well... mangled. Robert Englund looks scary without Freddy's melted-face-mask.
  • Roseanne, Tom Arnold, Alice Cooper, and Johnny Depp all make brief cameos in this movie.
  • As was learned in previous movies, Freddy is the Bastard son of a hundred maniacs. He must have inherited quite a few traits from his... "Fathers". There is a scene of Freddy as a child squishing a hamster with a hammer in school.
Fun Quotes!
  • "No screaming while the bus is in motion!" - Freddy
  • "Happy Father's Day" - Lead character just before killing Freddy
  • "I'll get you my pretty! And your little soul, too!" - Freddy
  • "Every town has an ELM STREET!" - Freddy
Lead roles: Directed by: Rachel Talalay

Writing credits: Wes Craven (Characters), Rachel Talalay (Story)

Tagline: They saved the best for last.
Sources: The oh-so-wonderful IMDB, my head, and the box.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.