Frederick Martin MacMurray was born on Aug. 30, 1908 in Kankakee, Illinois. His father was a concert violinist. Fred was educated at a military academy and afterwards would study at the Art Institute of Chicago. He originally planned on being a professional saxaphonist, though through this ambition he found himself in Hollywood, beginning an acting career that would lead him to become a well-loved film star of Disney movies and more.

After he starred in several theater productions, including one show on Broadway, Fred received a contract with Paramount in 1934. His fame sprouted when he starred opposite Claudette Colbert in “The Gilded Lady,” a romantic comedy in 1935. He became a popular leading man for numerous films to follow, and at one point made seven films within twelve months. Some of these included “Alice Adams,” opposite Katharine Hepburn, “Sing You Sinners,” with Bing Crosby and “Swing High, Swing Low,” co-starring Colbert once again.

Fred managed to become familiar and well-loved as a kind-hearted, comedic actor suited best for light and fuzzy roles. However, when he starred in Billy Wilder’s “Double Indemnity,” a classic film in which Fred portrays a murderous salesman, his performance was critically acclaimed. He continued to take on comedic roles following “Indemnity,” however, and married a co-star, June Haver, in 1954. Movies such as “The Egg and I” and “The Caine Mutiny” were easily his best films among the next several years- other movies besides these during this time were not considered so terrific. In 1959, however, Fred took on the leading role in the Disney film “The Shaggy Dog,” which became one of the biggest hits of the year. Following this he landed a role in “The Apartment,” which earned him an Oscar, and this led to him becoming a television star on the hit show “My Three Sons,” which ran until 1972. After the show, he starred in “The Absent-Minded Professor,” along with several other Disney movies. A variety of smaller roles and television movies followed before he retired after 1978’s “The Swarm.” He died in Santa Monica, California on November 5, 1991.

Other films with Fred MacMurray:

Charley and the Angel
Son of Flubber"
Face of a Fugitive
The Oregon Trail
Day of the Bad Man
The Pushover
Fair Wind to Java
Never a Dull Moment
Father Was a Fullback
The Miracle of the Bells
Where Do We Go from Here?
Standing Room Only
Above Suspicion
Invitation to Happiness”  

Help for this node came from allmovie.com         

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.