French singer/songwriter and musketeer of the French chanson. Pulled the chanson style to a new level by adding American folk and rock 'n roll notions.

Francis Cabrel was born on November 23rd, 1953, in Agen, Lot-et-Garonne in South France, place that gave its accent to his voice.

Born to a family of Italian immigrants and growing up in Astaffort near Toulouse, small Francis begins the guitar (a gift from his uncle for Christmas), after discovering Bob Dylan. Influenced by giants like Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles, he started to play their tunes, before composing his own songs.

A college drop-out himself, he started his career in Les Gaulois, a south-western band, which happened to turn into the star of the local balls. He is then noticed by the Seff brothers, who offered him a contract with CBS. Beginning with the recording of his first album Ma Ville in 1977, Francis Cabrel takes off to stardom. The 80s passed with a royal dexterity, one success after another. In 1989, he recorded the very famous Sarbacane, which sold more than two million copies.

Being considered as Jean-Jacques Goldman of the 80s, his latter albums are Samedi Soir Sur La Terre in 1994, Hors Saison in 1999 and Les Beaux Degats in 2004.

Cabrel's worldwide known songs are Petite Marie from the 70s and Je t'aimai, je t'aime, je t'aimerai from the 90s.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.