A four-stranded braid is flatter and wider than a three-stranded braid, and has a more complicated look (possibly because it is a bit more complicated). I like to use this technique to make my hairstyle a little bit more interesting than the classic braid. However, it does shorten the hair more than the classic braid does.

First, take the hair you plan to braid and divide it into four strands.

     | | | | 
     | | | | 
     | | | |

Next, cross each pair of strands (in the same direction).

     | | | |
      X   X
     | | | |

Then, take the two middle strands of hair and cross them in the opposite direction (if you crossed the first pair of strands right over left, then cross the center strands left over right).

     | | | |
      X   X
     | | | |
     |  X  |
     | | | |

Keep repeating the second and third step until all of the hair is braided.

     | | | |
      X   X
     | | | |
     |  X  |
     | | | |
      X   X
     | | | |
     |  X  |
     | | | |

If it seems a little tricky at first, keep practicing, and you will get the hang of it. You can also use this technique to braid things other than hair. I am sure it is possible to do a French braid variant of this, but since I don't yet know how to French braid, I've never done it.


If there is anything I need to clarify, or if my diagrams need work, please msg me and let me know!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.