Also known as the Bodhisattva Vow. Chanted at the beginning of Zen meditation periods.

The many beings are numberless -- I vow to save them.
Greed, hatred and folly rise endlessly -- I vow to abandon them.
Dharma gates are countless -- I vow to wake to them.
Buddha's way is unsurpassable -- I vow to embody it fully.
and in Romanji Japanese...
Su-jo mu-hen sei gan do
Bon-no mu-jin sei gan dan
Ho-mon muryo sei gan gakku
Butsu-do mu-gen sei gan jo

The person doing the chanting is vowing not to leave the cycle of reincarnation until all other beings have been led to enlightenment, an endeavor that could take countless kalpas.

Buddhism requires that the enlightened ones and those with more practice and who are further advanced along the path show the way to others. However, beginners can also help other beings in this world. Mahayana Buddhist tradition emphasizes that each person should see himself as holding a candle in his hand. This candle will help him to see the way, and others should also benefit from the effulgent emanations of this candle. For that reason, Mahayana Buddhists do not wait until they have attained perfect satori, or enlightenment, before they act. Their efforts to aid others in their search for enlightenment begins when they begin their own practice. Therefore,these Four Great Bodhisattva vows are recited daily in Buddhist temples, monasteries and Zen centers at the close of services and meditation. By the practitioner reciting these and practicing them in their daily routine, they will be encouraged in their studies and spurred on in efforts to obtain Nirvana. These vows express the infinite compassion of the Buddha and by chanting them the Zen practitioner expresses a desire to become as the great Bodhisattvas and Buddhas and is willing to both improve themself and share his happiness and enlightenment with others.

The Four Great Bodhisattva Vows

Sentient beings are innumerable,
I vow to save them all.
The deluding passions are inexhaustible,
I vow to destroy them all.
The gates of the Dharma are immeasurable,
I vow to enter them all.
The Buddha-Way is supreme,
I vow to attain it.

Source: Zen Philosophy, Zen practice by Ven. Dr. Thich Thien-An

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.