The Focke-Wulf FW190, designed by Kurt Tank, is considered Germany's best fighter plane of the Second World War.

When the first version entered service in 1941, it showed marked superiority to its opponents in almost every aspect — the FW190 could outrun, outturn, and outclimb anything it encountered. However, the later models (including the A8) were primarily intended for bomber intercepts, so they carried more firepower and armor, but were therefore considerably heavier and less maneuverable.

Heavily armed with four 20mm cannons and two machine-guns, the FW190 was Allied bombers' most dreaded enemy. For the Germans, however, the FW190 was a joy to fly. There was excellent visibility from the cockpit, an unequaled rate of roll, and take-offs and landings were a breeze. In flight, the craft reacted quickly to the slightest command, an obvious advantage over the earlier RAF planes. It could both climb and dive with ease, and the improved turns of the D models, coupled with an impressive armament, compact shape, and superior handling, meant that this plane was more than a match for the best enemy aircraft. It was an excellent fighter at medium altitudes, and it also had a respectable record as a fighter-bomber.

Statistics:

Model A8

Max. Speed: 654 km/h
Cruise Speed: 480 km/h
Ceiling: 11,400 m
Combat Radius: 266 km
Fuel Capacity: 524 L
Wing Area: 18.3 sq. m
Max. Horsepower: 1,770 hp
Weight loaded: 4415 kg

Model D9

Max. Speed: 685 km/h
Cruise Speed: 518 km/h
Ceiling: 12,500 m
Combat Radius: 282 km
Fuel Capacity: 524 L
Wing Area: 18.3 sq. m
Max. Horsepower: 1,876 hp
Weight loaded: 4293 kg



Stats from Francois Verlinden's WWII Aircraft Volume 1

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.