Flake is a popular chocolate confection available in Australia and the UK.

The chocolate is thinly layered on top of other random thin layers, which makes the chocolate a unique consistency somewhere between crispy and soft. Must be eaten carefully, otherwise tiny pieces of milk chocolate rapidly coat the lap.

Produced by the great British confectioner Cadbury.

Secondary meaning: Australian term for shark meat, commonly sold in fish and chip shops as an inexpensive generic fish. Mild flavour, texture like a cross between cod and whiting.

Yet another slang term for cocaine. See also coke, blow, nose candy, etc.

Back to Drug Slang Metanode.

Flake (flAk), n. [Cf. Icel. flaki, fleki, Dan. flage, D. vlaak.]

1.

A paling; a hurdle. [prov. Eng.]

2.

A platform of hurdles, or small sticks made fast or interwoven, supported by stanchions, for drying codfish and other things.

You shall also, after they be ripe, neither suffer them to have straw nor fern under them, but lay them either upon some smooth table, boards, or flakes of wands, and they will last the longer.
English Husbandman.

3. (Naut.)

A small stage hung over a vessel's side, for workmen to stand on in calking, etc.

 

© Webster 1913


Flake (flAk), n. [Cf. Icel. flakna to flake off, split, flagna to flake off, Sw. flaga flaw, flake, flake plate, Dan. flage snowflake. Cf. Flag a flat stone.]

1.

A loose filmy mass or a thin chiplike layer of anything; a film; flock; lamina; layer; scale; as, a flake of snow, tallow, or fish. "Lottle flakes of scurf." Addison.

Great flakes of ice encompassing our boat.
Evelyn.

2.

A little particle of lighted or incandescent matter, darted from a fire; a flash.

With flakes of ruddy fire.
Somerville.

3. (Bot.)

A sort of carnation with only two colors in the flower, the petals having large stripes.

Flake knife (Archæol.), a cutting instrument used by savage tribes, made of a flake or chip of hard stone. Tylor. --
Flake stand, the cooling tub or vessel of a still worm. Knight. --
Flake white. (Paint.)
(a) The purest white lead, in the form of flakes or scales.
(b) The trisnitrate of bismuth. Ure.

 

© Webster 1913


Flake, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Flaked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Flaking.]

To form into flakes. Pope.

 

© Webster 1913


Flake, v. i.

To separate in flakes; to peel or scale off.

 

© Webster 1913


Flake (?), n. [Etym. uncertain; cf. 1st Fake.]

A flat layer, or fake, of a coiled cable.

Flake after flake ran out of the tubs, until we were compelled to hand the end of our line to the second mate.
F. T. Bullen.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.