This is an idea outlined in the book Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy by Sarah Ban Breathnach. The book itself reads like one of those page a day calendars for women who do too much and or watch too much Oprah, but there are some nifty little chunks of good in it here and there floating in the treacle.

The author suggests that you (the woman, sorry guys) purchase a beautiful journal, with ribbons, or special paper, or an artful cover, and keep it by your bed. At the end of each day, write down five things that you are thankful for. This exercise will keep you in perspective - when you are feeling depressed, you can read through your journal and discover that thinking about puppies or Anne Geddes cheers you up.

The only reason I have this book is because my mother sent it to me. I felt obligated to read through some of it, because hell, I read cereal boxes and shampoo bottles, this couldn't be any worse to read while pooping than the Wisconsin Cheeseman catalog.

I was amazed that I found something of value that I couldn't be overly cynical about in this pink book. I would suggest it (this idea, not the book) to everyone (not just women).

Just don't put it here. Put it in a daylog or something.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.