(Latin: (It's the) "End of Poland!")

A pseudo-quotation (that is, a supposed "quotation" without basis in actuality), generally supposed to have been uttered by Tadeusz Kosciuszko during the disastrous Battle of Maciejowicze (October 10, 1794).

However, the phrase would appear to be a German invention. In a letter dated "10 Brumaire, year XII" (November 4, 1803) to Ségur (who had quoted the phrase in his Histoire des principaux évènements du règne de Frédéric Guillaume II, "History of the principal events during the reign of Friedrich Wilhelm II"), Kosciusko emphatically denied that he had ever uttered any such words, calling it an "insulting accusation", and describing such words as "criminal in the mouth of any Pole". He ascribed the phrase to "ignorance or deliberate malice".

None of the contemporary descriptions of the battle make any mention of the phrase, and it would seem that Kosciusko must be believed - the phrase was likely made up after the fact, presumably by someone on the German side.

This, however, did not prevent the phrase from becoming part of Polish culture. In a move entirely characteristic of the Polish mentality, the phrase (in an inverted form) was adopted into the lyrics of the "Dombrowski March", as "Jeszcze Polska nie zginela" ("Poland is not yet dead"). In this form, it was first sung in 1797 by the Polish legion assembled by General Dombrowski (1755-1818) in Italy, under Napoleon's command.

Nowadays, the negated version is often found quoted in German, as "Noch ist Poland nicht verloren" ("Poland is not yet lost").

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.