Fillmore East - June 1971 was recorded live - you guessed it - at the Fillmore East Concert Hall in June 1971. It's one of the most impressive live albums I've listened to. Much of the material is comedy routines about the life of a traveling rock and roll band and their escapades with groupies, set to music, but the quirky songs performed between them are pure gold - the stage charisma of the Mothers works awesomely well here.

"You are.. you gotta tell me something.. I mean, seriously, I'm tellin' you, this is the first time that any of my girlfriends and I have ever met anybody really from Hollywood.. I mean, really.. my girlfriend Jim, and Ian, and Aynsley, and Bob, and Frank.. I mean, none of us.."

Performers:
Frank Zappa (guitar, dialog)
Mark Volman (lead vocals, dialog)
Howard Kaylan (lead vocals, dialog)
Ian Underwood (woodwinds, keyboards, vocals)
Aynsley Dunbar (drums)
Jim Pons (bass, vocals, dialog)
Bob Harris (keyboards, vocals)
Don Preston (mini-moog)

"We are not groupies! You better understand that!.. I told Robert Planet, I told Elton John, I told all those big guys.. We are not groupies! Roger Daltrey never laid a hand on me!"

Tracks:

Side one of the LP:
1. Little House I Used To Live In (4:41)
2. The Mud Shark (5:22)
3. What Kind Of Girl Do You Think We Are? (4:17)
4. Bwana Dik (2:21)
5. Latex Solar Beef (2:38)
6. Willie The Pimp (4:03)
Side two of the LP:
7. Willie The Pimp, Part Two (this one is only found on the LP)
8. Do You Like My New Car? (7:08)
9. Happy Together (2:57) (absolutely the best performance of this song ever)
10. Lonesome Electric Turkey (2:32)
11. Peaches En Regalia (3:22) (Zappa's masterpiece - you gotta hear this)
12. Tears Began To Fall (3:50)

"All this and more, Howie! Including! An electric-cooled pony harness with fuel injection! Fuel injection! Fuel injection!"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.