In the middle of the night I heard you walking in half-sleep, a fear gripped me like on childhood nights, somewhere unsafe. I held my breath, as if that magical thinking ever worked.


You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley


This morning I heard you again, slippers scuffing on creaking stairs, but there being no clock and the sky still dark, I slept another hour.


You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we walk in fields of gold


Downstairs for coffee, woodstove still embering the last of before bed logs, it is just the goldfish and I who are awake, waiting for the inevitable snowfall. It is winter, when snow is always falling, the sound quite calming.


I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I've broken


I plug in the Christmas tree lights for one last day, and fill the thirsty cup of the storm tree. The angel on top is leaning, as if to look outside or falling. Hard to tell these days.


But I swear in the days still left
We'll walk in fields of gold


You, you are back in the land of sleep, where I hope your dreams are of my golden hair, unbraided, untangled with promises I once made, where bagpipes play and nothing is lost or broken or forgotten, and a woman sings with a better voice than mine.

Lyrics by Sting, sung by Eva Cassidy

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.