Fenway Park is the home of the Boston Red Sox, and is the oldest baseball stadium in use today. Fenway opened on April 20, 1912 (the same day that Detroit's Tiger Stadium opened), replacing the old Huntington Avenue Grounds. The Red Sox quickly celebrated by winning the World Series in 1912; Fenway Park would also host four more World Series before Babe Ruth was sold to the New York Yankees in 1919 (although one involved the Boston Braves, whose Braves Field was still under construction in 1914). Fenway Park was also used for football; in the 1930's, the Boston Redskins (precursors to the Washington Redskins) played there, and the Boston Patriots (later New England) played there from 1963 to 1968.

Fenway Park originally did not have the Green Monster, the 37-foot high wall in left field and its most distinguishing feature. Instead it had "Duffy's Cliff," a 10-foot high slope in front of the (lower) left field wall, named after Duffy Lewis, Red Sox leftfielder from 1912 to 1917. In 1933 and 1934 Fenway was completely renovated, and Duffy's Cliff was removed. In its place Thomas Yawkey, the new owner of the Red Sox, constructed the enormous wall now known as the Green Monster. But originally, the wall was covered with billboards; only in 1947 were the ads torn down and the wall painted its current shade of green. The main reason for the height of Fenway's left field wall is that it stand so close to home plate; Landsdowne Street is immediately on the other side of the wall, and several fans parked on the other side of the Green Monster have left the park to find a home run ball sitting on their dashboard. Officially, the wall is 310 feet from home plate; many people consider this to be an exaggeration, but the Red Sox no longer allow it to be measured. At the base of the Green Monster is a hand operated scoreboard bearing the initials of Thomas Yawkey and his wife, Jean, who ran the team after her husband died.

Fenway also boasts the shortest right field line in the major league, a scant 302 feet. But the right field wall quickly fades back, and most of right field is actually deeper than in most parks. The right field foul pole is called "Pesky's Pole," after long time Red Sox shortstop Johnny Pesky, who didn't hit many home runs, but those he did frequently curled around or hit the right field pole. Fenway's bullpens are located just beyond the right field fence; they were moved there in 1940, bringing the right field fence in 23 feet for a young left-handed phenom named Ted Williams. If you ever happen to see what Fenway Park looks like empty, you will notice a single red seat amongst the sea of green seats in the right field bleachers. The seat, about two thirds of the way up the bleachers, is 502 feet from home pate, and marks the landing place of Ted Williams' longest home run in Fenway Park.

Fenway is known for being a hitter's ballpark, but with the addition of a large electronic scoreboard in centerfield and "The 600 Club," a luxury club above home plate, in recent years Fenway has actually decreased the number of home runs hit relative to the league. It still remains somewhat of a hitters' park, though, in part because of the smallest amount of foul territory of any major league park.

As befitting a park of its age, Fenway Park has its share of historic moments. Along with the first home runs of Babe Ruth, about half of Ted Williams' home runs, and a good portion of Cy Young's wins, there was Enos Slaughter's "mad dash" for home to seal the 1946 World Series for the St. Louis Cardinals, Bucky Dent's fly ball over the Green Monster in a one-game playoff between the Yankees and Red Sox in 1978, and one of the great World Series moments, Carlton Fisk waving the ball fair to win the sixth game of the 1975 World Series.

Current dimensions:
Left: 310
Left-center: 390
Deepest part, just right of center: 420
Right-center: 380
Right: 302

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.