Fel"low (?), n. [OE. felawe, felaghe, Icel. f�xc7;lagi, fr. f�xc7;lag companionship, prop., a laying together of property; f�xc7; property + lag a laying, pl. log law, akin to liggja to lie. See Fee, and Law, Lie to be low.]

1.

A companion; a comrade; an associate; a partner; a sharer.

The fellows of his crime. Milton.

We are fellows still, Serving alike in sorrow. Shak.

That enormous engine was flanked by two fellows almost of equal magnitude. Gibbon.

⇒ Commonly used of men, but sometimes of women.

Judges xi. 37.

2.

A man without good breeding or worth; an ignoble or mean man.

Worth makes the man, and want of it, the fellow. Pope.

3.

An equal in power, rank, character, etc.

It is impossible that ever Rome Should breed thy fellow. Shak.

4.

One of a pair, or of two things used together or suited to each other; a mate; the male.

When they be but heifers of one year, . . . they are let go to the fellow and breed. Holland.

This was my glove; here is the fellow of it. Shak.

5.

A person; an individual.

She seemed to be a good sort of fellow. Dickens.

6.

In the English universities, a scholar who is appointed to a foundation called a fellowship, which gives a title to certain perquisites and privileges.

7.

In an American college or university, a member of the corporation which manages its business interests; also, a graduate appointed to a fellowship, who receives the income of the foundation.

8.

A member of a literary or scientific society; as, a Fellow of the Royal Society.

Fellow is often used in compound words, or adjectively, signifying associate, companion, or sometimes equal. Usually, such compounds or phrases are self-explanatory; as, fellow-citizen, or fellow citizen; fellow-student, or fellow student; fellow-workman, or fellow workman; fellow-mortal, or fellow mortal; fellow-sufferer; bedfellow; playfellow; workfellow.

Were the great duke himself here, and would lift up My head to fellow pomp amongst his nobles. Ford.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fel"low (?), v. t.

To suit with; to pair with; to match.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.